So this Saturday we went to Cholula, which is a town near Puebla, only about 30 min away by bus. There is an old pyramid, Tlachihualtepetl, which was then burried and a massive cathedral was built on top. It was absolutely stunning, and the view from the top is AMAZING. You can see the Cathedral in Puebla that is also located on top of a hill, which by the way makes for a great run where lot of people go to run, we get to do a massive hill every day then the sidewalk around the Cathedral is used as a kind of track because theres not many places to run! Anyway, so it was fun to go on our first outing, its been a lot of school and work and we were all glad for the break! It was an absolutely gorgeous day, we got to try some delicious grasshoppers (ha) and did has some for real delicious ice cream from a vendor (always the best!) and some yummy tortilla cheesy salsa-y thing that i can't remember the name because they all seem about the same to me! It was quite fun.
So I also got to use my Spanish skills and argue for our rights! We explored the whole pyramid surroundings and climbed to the top to see the church and then wanted to go walk the tunnels inside the pyramid. In earlier years you were able to but apparently because of recent collapses inside they had closed the inside. We walked up to where you should be able to go inside the tunnels and asked if we were able to do a tour and told them we wanted to go inside. We got it all figured out and said it was 250 pesos for all of us which was about $5 each and we said it was alright, we wanted to see the inside really bad. So we started the tour and we got inside the museum and she was explaining what we would see on the tour and we all looked at eachother and once and asked "We're not going inside?" and she explained it was closed. Well this was when things got heated, because immediately, the 3 feisty ones of us, Cryshel, McKenna, and I started asking questions why the didn't tell us, etc., and told her we had already walked exactly where we were going to. Long story short she told us we couldn't get our money back but I wasn't about to walk away so I marched right up to the people at the ticket counter and argued for us and got our $ back! I was quite proud of myself that I could defend myself and my group in Spanish! A successful day, I'd say.
So this week we start classes again I'll try to get some pics of the kids! They are awfully cute!
View again
The cathedral at Cholula, on top of the pyramid
Pyramid behind me, and eating a cricket! yummm. It tasted like BBQ sauce! but a crunchy, burnt BBQ sauce. So delicious. (Really I immediately chugged water and had gum ready for after!)
Just a random store in Cholula, a lot of the buildings look like this its awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment