Monday, February 1, 2010

Argentine Life

My University!
Picture perfect pizza..very Italian!
A cool statue in La Boca
Just a cool clock building.
This is just one of many amazing paintings in La Boca, and it also shows how passionate they are about Tango...I cannot wait to take classes! We're taking a class on Thursday so that should be interesting!


Life in Argentina is so different! They eat at like 9 or 10 at night and every time they sit down for a meal they really sit down and spend time with each other. Argentine's don't rush through things like we do as Americans, they walk to just walk, they eat and take their time to have a good time with each other, and they are very PROUD. I knew that Argentines were proud before I got here, but it is amazing how proud they are. You can tell in the way they walk, the way they dress, in everything they do. They comport themselves with dignity and pride and they are always dressed nice! It is pretty intimidating, actually, because they always look nice and they are beautiful people...doesn't do much for your self confidence! Also, it is so amazingly hot here I can't even begin to tell explain it to you. You look around and everyone is sweating, half of the people on the subway are completely drenched in sweat on their backs...it's unbelievable. But some people seem to have an amazing ability not to sweat, which I'm pretty jealous of, because I have been sweating buckets I've probably lost 5 pounds just in water! (Ha, I wish but probably not...though I'm pretty sure I haven't stopped sweating since I got here..gross) Though I am glad to be in the heat! No way would I want to be cold! I took my test today and I placed in the Intermediate level, which is right about where I thought I should be, classes start tomorrow. First we do the "Intensive one month" program, 5 hours of Spanish, 5 days a week. It'll be tiring but worth it..I can't wait! It is so hard to speak to people now, it's so much easier to write on paper and even then I'm not great at it, so I hope being here and listening to them and studying a ton will help me!

The rest of the group is really cool, there are a couple of people I really like, very similar to my personality and we get along amazingly, I feel like I've known them forever, so that's really cool to have people here that I like. I will definitely make some Argentine friends, but you don't realize how hard it is with the language barrier till you get here...though a lot of our host brother and sisters are super nice so I think we'll be spending time with each others families and able to practice our Spanish, not to mention that we are all extremely motivated and want to learn Spanish so we are planning on doing a lot of studying together.

We walked around the city today for literally hours which was amazing, just being right in the middle of everything. It is also amazing to take a break from life and just be able to go explore and walk when your not rushing. You should try it some time, its enlightening. So basically we explored the city and found lots of cool places to check out, lots of shopping places we can go to (Fashion is so ridiculous here, its like New York or something!). I feel a lot comfortable with the subway and the bus now, even though it's only been a couple days, but definitely feel better about public transportation, even after a couple of days the city doesn't feel AS intimidating..I'm getting the hang of it already.

Well anyway, time to take a little siesta, it has been an exhausting day. More to come when we do more fun things.

1 comment:

Steve and Katrina said...

Hey KateLyn,

I just remembered that I never added you to my Google reader. So now I just read and caught up on your blog. It looks like you are having fun. We should skype sometime and you can talk to Steve in Spanish. Love you!